If you are one of those people who are still on the fence about going organic, here are a few facts that will help push you over to the organic side.
- Pesticides and Herbicides have been linked to a wide range of human health effects, including immune suppression, hormone disruption, diminished intelligence, reproductive abnormalities, neurological and behavioral disorders, and cancer.
- Woman with Breast cancer are 5-9x more likely to have significant levels of pesticide residue in their blood.
- Pesticides and Herbicides are also potent endocrine hormone disruptors and can be passed easily through the placenta to the unborn infant, which is extremely vulnerable to toxins that disrupt the development process.
- Children are particularly susceptible to pesticides because of a higher level of food intake for their body weight and a still maturing immune system.
- Some studies reveal organic crops are higher in vitamin C, iron, natural sugars, magnesium, and phosphorus, and lower in harmful nitrates than non organic conventional crops.
- Organic crops had markedly higher levels of nutrients for all 21 nutrients.
- Organically grown spinach, lettuce, cabbage and potatoes expressed particularly high levels of minerals.
- Organic practices are shown to stimulate the plants’ oxidative defense mechanisms, leading to enhanced production of important phytonutrients.
- It is precisely because organic crops are not protected by pesticides that their fruits contain high levels of flavonoids and polyphenols than conventional non organic fruits, including up to 50% more antioxidants.